Sunday 17 June 2012

A fashion mid-spectrum crisis.

I said that I was going to write a lot in this blog, but it is now the 17th of June and I am only on post two. Sigh.

Today, as I sit typing wearing mismatching not-at-all-intended-for-pajamas pajamas, I turn my mind to the idea of clothes.

I myself like bright colours. Take yesterday, for example. I twirled across my room pretending to be a Disney princess, and chose a purple rain coat, acid yellow jumper and blue flowery dress, then accessorized with a red lipstick and a tinge of silver eyeshadow in what I like to call 'the Cassie look'. I like wearing bright colours, because I feel as though it brightens my mood. It makes me feel as though there is a reason to be happy. Sort of pathetic fallacy, but with clothes.

Recently though, I've been becoming intruiged by black and white. A crisp white shirt, a blackboard blazer, a casual grey jumper. I like the way it puts all the focus on the shape. The style of shirt. The ends of the sleeves. The texture. Wearing black and white makes me feel like picking up a cigarette and sitting outside a Parisian cafe.

I don't know where I'm going with this. My inner psychologist makes me think I don't want to wear plainer colours in case it puts too much attention on what I'm actually doing and saying.

But even so, I may try it. Wearing different clothes to my usual style makes me feel like a different character. For my art exam last winter I dressed as Effy Stonem, just for fun. For my chemisty exam, I was a potassium flame test, and for english I channel what I like to call 'english teacher chic'.

So that's a window into my mind regarding clothes. However, I know that for the forseeable future I will be wearing nothing but pajamas. I may have to put on my thinking cap.

Nails: No7's 'cheeky chops'
Reading: Atonement
Listening to: The Mountain Goats, as of John Green's indirect recomendation.



No comments:

Post a Comment